View Single Post
Old 03-03-2010, 01:02 AM   #111 (permalink)
bikeracer
for(cD i=.25;i>.16;i--)

UltraHatchy - '00 Honda Insight 5spd
90 day: 63.55 mpg (US)
switch placement

I've been playing with my switch a lot as well. I don't have the slick brake relay setup you do, but with my switch being on the shift knob, I can easily turn it off to regen, since in a braking situation, I'm usually shifting as well. The other thing I really like about having the switch ready-to-hand is that it can be turned off to help the engine through its lower rpm's when accelerating and then back on when the engine is in its happy power band. This works great for 23mph to 45 or 50mph 2nd gear pulse-and-glide. It doesn't take much out of the battery—it seems like you could use the assist in that range for that amount of time and in that way all day without emptying the pack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertSmalls View Post
It's great, and it still works flawlessly. I usually just leave the switch in the on position and forget that it's there.

The electric motor + battery is only 70% efficient round trip, so you want to be careful not to use assist unless it's necessary. Without the mod, assist kicks in whenever I accelerate or climb a hill, then regen drags down the fuel economy to charge the battery back up. With the mod, I'm free to move the throttle through its full range without much impact on the fuel economy, and hills don't hurt my fuel economy.

Btw, I'm warming up to the side view camera, too.