View Single Post
Old 03-03-2010, 07:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
hummingbird
PaleMelanesian's Disciple

City - '04 Honda City iDSI EXi
90 day: 47.47 mpg (US)
Electric Vacuum pump

Hi Folks, I am back, after some hibernation!

I have put on (finally) the MPGuino I got a loong time ago, and put in a kill switch. Other than that I pretty much have my car stock, with 50 PSI air, and not much else to talk about.

I have been a disciple of PaleMelanesian, and relish my EOC very much. In the past 15 months or so that I have been practising it, I have had fair amount of success using it.

Today I realized I am courting with disaster, because I had a particularly long stretch of engine off coasting, and there was a fair amount of traffic, though smooth flowing. I had pulsed up (something else playing on my mind) to about 80 kmph, and I had about 500m to reach my office gates, with a roundabout to cross in between.

The pulse pushed me near the vehicles in front, and as I tend to conserve momentum, I managed to keep the car between the kerb and the other vehicle. I had to apply brakes lightly (it is avoided as much as possible) and then I turned into the approach to my office main gate, where I need to stop for a security check.

To my horror, I found that my brakes won't apply as easily. I am usually aware of the vacuum depleting with use of brakes, and I generally bump up to replenish. In this case the momentum didn't prompt for a bump, and I was distracted because of the traffic - the use of brakes in between did not register. I had to brake real hard to get the car to stop at the security check.

I know, some of you are shaking heads, some are saying what a tool, does not remember to replenish vacuum, but it is the first time in about 15 months now that I agree that there can be lapses in concentration and awareness, which could lead to your not using brakes with necessary force in event of depleted vacuum.

There is a simple solution for it, at least theoretically - use a vacuum bottle + vacuum pump that operates electrically and use it for all the brake assist needs. I get the idea from Ben Nelson's conversion, where he used that white vacuum bottle with a pump with a cutoff when vacuum builds up.

I think this kind of vacuum replenishment accessory is very important for an EOC devotee, and it is as important as or more important than kill switch or an MPGuino. I think there would be some benefit in using the electric pump as well (mechanical stuff is generally less efficient - like say a belt driven fan vs. electric one)

Is this thing available from regular auto accessories shops? What are the alternatives? How do I go about and acquire or DIY one for myself? Please answer. I am so shaken from the morning incident, that I would get it done as soon as possible if it is feasible.

Last, but not the least, kick my butt and give me a link if something on this lines is already available. I tried to search, but in vain.