View Single Post
Old 03-04-2010, 10:18 AM   #15 (permalink)
Piwoslaw
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Should CAFE testing be changed to be more realistic?

As for the new EPA numbers it's good that testing is closer to real life so people know what they are paying for. But a side effect of lowering the EPA is that for many people the target FE is lower. Here's what I mean:
Say a car's old EPA is 35 and new is 31 (as in Pale's example). Someone who bought it pre-2008 may decide to keep an eye on FE. If it's something like 33, then he'll think: "Well, I'm below average and I've gotta do something about it. How about I go a little slower on the freeway, oh and maybe check out that EcoModder.com site everyone at work is talking about?" (EcoModder.com is just an example, I am in no way related to it, nor am I not trying to crypto-advertise it)
On the other hand, if he buys the car with a big 31avgMPG sticker on the window, then when he calculates his 33 tank average he'll get all happy and keep driving like he used, b/c he's above average.

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread