View Single Post
Old 03-04-2010, 01:20 PM   #97 (permalink)
3-Wheeler
Master EcoModder

AlienMobile - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
90 day: 80.05 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimepting View Post
...I had contemplated forming the boattain shape with sytrofoam and laying the fiberglas over, but laying down over cardboard lowers the complexity and work load, not to mention cost. Both the inside and outside of the tail would have to be fiberglassed, since the cardboard is obviously not immune to water....
Actually the cost of cardboard/fiberglass versus foam/fiberglass is almost the same.

The glass will cost about $30.
The foam board will cost about $30 (1-1/2 sheets at 2in thick)
The epoxy resin will cost about $100 (one gallon)

So the only difference in price is the cost of the cardboard.

Really, most of the cost for me, is labor. Figure three months. I can start now or later when the weather gets warmer, but it will still take that many hours for me to get a nice fit and finish.

The finished paint job will not be done this year, as getting a class A finish on the fiberglass takes another two months or so, then many coats of automotive quality paint, and finally the clear coat. So this fall, I will driving the car with primer colored paint, and that's fine with me.

Years ago, I did the motorcycle fairing over the winter, with the bike in the basement. Used a boat winch to get it up/down the basement stairs.

Robert, you will most likely finish before I do.

Jim.