View Single Post
Old 03-04-2010, 01:52 PM   #56 (permalink)
Frank Lee
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roflwaffle View Post
That's the irony of everyone running around using the term "exponential" willy nilly IMO. A population that's growing will hit a limiting factor sooner or later, finite planet/solar system/whatever. If it was really growing "exponentially", it can't be limited by definition, unless we're just saying that's it will be exponentially growing until it won't (Nor really exponential growth then), in which case we could just as well say it will be exponentially, cubically, linearly, periodically, and so forth (Every function is a piecewise function? ) , growing, until it won't. The drop in population growth over the past half century or so indicates we're hitting some sort of bottleneck, although I don't think it's due to a limit in terms of the scarcest resource as opposed to a change in priorities.
I'll hand it to ya, you're right on the definition. But then, the populace i.e layman (including me) should use what term- the population is expanding Liebigly? I think that, the definition of exponential being unlimited notwithstanding, it is commonly understood (?) that at some point there is a breaking point and the exponential growth slows/stops.

But you wouldn't know it after reading articles about shooting breeders off to space to populate the cosmos.