View Single Post
Old 03-05-2010, 01:37 PM   #24 (permalink)
ccrider
EcoModding Lurker

old red taco - '02 toyota tacoma regular cab
90 day: 29.49 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjboks View Post
I took your image from the other thread and overlaid the template. Not sure if it's the angle of the camera or not but it looks like your cap is a bit on the conservative side... better than too steep and getting separation.

Here's the image with a couple simple lines drawn in if you did a tailgate extension.
the truck is slightly lower in the front in the picture if you look at the black bed liner under the cap compared to the template bottom. if the truck is perfectly flat the template matches up pretty close.

kamperbob the tailgate was closed during the tests. not sure if that is what you are asking. but the back of the cap has a piece of plywood on it.

i think i should do what metrompg said and move on to the under side of the truck. i think that my results showed that the big mpg loses as speed increased tells me that trucks have very bad aerodynamics and that if i clean up the bottom i should see less loses as speed increases.

since the test i have been more aware of wind conditions and yesterday i was driving from Tampa to Melbourne and i had a 10-15 mph tail wind and i was averaging over 30 mpg on the scangauge at 65 mph. which makes sense because i was getting around 30 mpg at 55mph on my tests