View Single Post
Old 03-05-2010, 03:02 PM   #78 (permalink)
roflwaffle
Master EcoModder

Camryaro - '92 Toyota Camry LE V6
90 day: 31.12 mpg (US)

Red - '00 Honda Insight

Prius - '05 Toyota Prius

3 - '18 Tesla Model 3
90 day: 152.47 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
Frankly, if people don't like the way they're being treated, just like any other animal, they have the choice to oppose, even violently. It's worked thousands of times throughout history, and it can continue to work.

None of that affects the choice that the people of Haiti can make to discontinue breeding (so much), though.
It's worked sometimes and other times it hasn't worked, so I don't think simply stating it's an option w/o more depth is correct. Sometimes people will oppose something violently and achieve their goals (American Revolution), and sometimes people will oppose something violently and be slaughtered (Bosnian War). Just because we say something will work doesn't mean it will actually work.

I don't see how people who consume ~30 times more energy per capita can complain about someone in another country having twice as many children. Maybe if people in this thread were all using ~50kWh/month of electricity, drove vehicles that averaged ~350mpg, and so on, then they would have a platform that was at least not riddled with hypocrisy, but as it stands that isn't the case AFAIK. Complaining about other people of similar consumption habits having more kids makes sense I suppose, but not complaining about people having twice as many kids when they only consume a thirtieth of the resources.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to roflwaffle For This Useful Post:
Christ (03-05-2010), Lazarus (03-05-2010)