View Single Post
Old 03-05-2010, 08:17 PM   #3088 (permalink)
CamLight
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamj12b View Post
I love Eagle!! Ive been trying to get Paul to use it for months now!! he tried it once, then went to PCB Artist....Darn you Paul!! I knew it would come back to bite you!!. LOL

One thing that I have trouble with that Paul and I were talking about yesterday was how to create a massive pad for a bus bar??

When I draw a Polygon in the pad layer, and hit ratsnest to redraw the planes I have drawn, the planes apply the .1" isolation to the big pad....And since you cant name polygons in the pad layer.....i have no idea how to fix it. lol

Would you use like the Restrict or Keepout layers to keep solder mask from be applied to the areas of the bus bars??

This is the only problem I have had so far... Maybe one of you know??

-Adam
Adam, I'm not sure if this answers your question, but...
You can assign a polygon to the same signal as your pad (which can now be small) by changing the polygon's Name to the same as the pad's signal name. Then you can set Thermals to match what you need. This allows you to create a pad of any shape and size and have it handled properly for the air wires.

I use a Polygon or Rectangle on the tStop and/or bStop layers to keep the mask away from the parts of the power/GND planes I want to make into bus bars. I prefer using a Polygon, but you can use a Rectangle if you know the size won't change.