View Single Post
Old 03-05-2010, 11:47 PM   #38 (permalink)
robertwb70
EcoModding Apprentice

1991 RED Metro 1.0 Auto - '91 Geo Metro Lsi Auto
Team Metro
90 day: 38.28 mpg (US)

1991 3/5 2 door Blue/green - '91 Geo Metro
Last 3: 42.6 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderboy View Post
more spring force (= more compression?)

I dont think any of the 1.0l G10 engines had EGR, right?

I couldn't tell you what kind of change you would see if you were to remove all the 2nd rings from a stock G10 and added gapless top rings, but if it resulted in an efficient gain, I'm almost certain it wouldn't be as significant as swapping the cam out and getting an advanced timing sprocket
More spring force does not mean more compression, when it comes to ring pressure it's not a case of more is better but a case of adequate is all you want- any more is unnecessary friction imposed on what is (IIRC) already the single highest frictional loss in the motor.

As far as I know 1991 was the only year the G10 didn't have EGR ( for the standard model at least, don't know about the XFI)

I've thought about using gapless top rings and removing the second rings as well, bu the higher cost dissuaded me (and IIRC they didn't make gapless tops in the right size at the time, about 2 yrs ago) so I just went with gapless second rings instead.

If it were me I'd try the rings you've made, just make sure the ends can't butt up against each other once operating temp is reached and make sure you're OK with the possibility of tearing back into the engine if they don't work out...

I knew a guy that raced VW Sciroccos and used the zerogap rings, he told me he had to replace the pistons every season but that he used the same rings for 3 seasons so far at that point.

I think the real benefit from using them comes once the engine gets up there in mileage. Performance/ efficiency wise you'd probably get as much benefit from anti-friction (DFL) and/or thermal barrier (ceramic) coating (the appropriate part of) pistons.