View Single Post
Old 03-06-2010, 02:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Arragonis
The PRC.

I would put a small wager on it not working at all, and a side bet on it working slightly but not very well.

Firstly I don't think the spark will make the difference between not enough heat and enough heat. If its mixed with something that does burn then that may work but I don't think you can mix fuels so easily. Maybe a gas but then that adds all sorts of other issues with plumbing - in short dunno.

The compression in Diesels is there to generate the heat.

Plus you then have timing issues - remember diesel burns slower so you may not have enough heat generated to overcome compression unless you adjust it a lot.

Thirdly diesel engines inject fuel into the cylinders and not indirectly into the induction system like Petrol cars - no throttle. I'm not sure that thick fluid like Diesel will atomise like Petrol does using Petrol injectors. Diesel won't ruin the injectors like running petrol through a diesel system will - diesel is a lubricant whereas petrol isn't.

As for diesels having less power you have to remember that power doesn't really exist, it's just an equation - (lb/ft x rpm) / 5252

Mr Duckworth (the 'worth' bit in Cosworth) expressed it more simply as power = size of bang multiplied by the number of bangs. Diesel has more power in a fixed volume than petrol has but it burns slower so the engines can't spin as fast.

The result is much more torque but at a lower engine speed, so you get less power using the calculation above. My friend's tuned 1.9 TDI makes 180hp at but at only 4000 rpm, but the torque figure is over 300 lb/ft which is V8 petrol country.

If diesels didn't have enough power (as in strength) all those trains and trucks wouldn't work very well.