View Single Post
Old 03-06-2010, 05:57 PM   #109 (permalink)
3-Wheeler
Master EcoModder

AlienMobile - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
90 day: 80.05 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
... P.S. I use the Elmer's Carpenter's Glue,and once it goes off it appears to be fairly immune to moisture...
Hi Aerohead,

Actually Elmers Wood Glue does get affected by moisture later on.

It will soften and come back off, even after a year. It just takes a while.

I found this out first hand with another motorcycle fairing. The fairing got a crack in it, and the spring time rain kept working it's way into the small opening.

Eventually the delamination was enough for me to perform surgery on the fairing and fix the bad section.

I keep close tabs on the current fairing, looking for cracks, which are really obvious and small chips of paint that get knocked off by pea-gravel hitting the front of the fairing.

And the main reason I started using Elmers Wood Glue, is that at the time I had no way to isolate the Polyester resin from attacking the foam underneath. I never heard of Epoxy resin, and with two young kids growing up, probably could not have paid the steep price for it either.

Like you mentioned previously, now we have Elmers Glue, Latex paint, and/or Epoxy resin to allow the usage of Styrofoam in our composites.

As mentioned, Elmers Glue is pretty robust overall. I would have no qualms about using it on the tail extension.

Jim.

Last edited by 3-Wheeler; 03-06-2010 at 06:05 PM..