View Single Post
Old 03-07-2010, 11:50 AM   #11 (permalink)
Ryland
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
The engine is out, took two of us around two hours, we got the engine out in the first hour, the 2nd hour the friend that was helping me pulled the air box and a few other odd parts that we don't need any more while I stared at the engine and frame scratching my head, turns out the drive shaft floats around in the swing arm, I thought there was a support bearing at either end of it, not the case, so we did some redesign of the motor bearing plate, adding another bearing, so the shaft that connects the golf cart motor to the motorcycle is ridged enough to support both the open end of the golf cart motor and the unsupported end of the drive shaft/U-join, the advantage of this new twist is that because the drive shaft in the swing arm is unsupported I can tweak it's exact location by a small amount, this turned out to be needed when two bolt holes crossed paths.
The plan for the day is to make a wood mock up of the bearing carrier that also is one of the main motor supports and make sure that clearances are correct before I have my brother write up the CNC program to make the part as there are some curves in the bike frame that make it tight and hard to measure.
I still have not started on specs for the adapter shaft that connects the motor to the motorcycle, but we are getting close, then the motor can be bolted on to the frame and tested.