View Single Post
Old 03-07-2010, 04:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
tollo
EcoModding Lurker

Here is little bit more stuff. I have lot of stuff to explain, so I start with something.

First this link:
Advanced Technologies & Energy Efficiency

Like you can see, that total energy efficiency of the cars is very poor. Only 2.6% of the energy goes for example to aerodynamical drag. Driveline losses are about 30% of the motor output power. How this is possible ? How it's easy to get 10% fuelconsumption improvement with small aerodynamical mods even though only 2.6% of the total energy goes to aerodynamical drag ? (good thing to think through)

In energy calculations is important to know that what you are calculating. So reason why driveline loses are small in my table, is that aerodynamical loses and percents include its part of driveline loses. Energy comes from fuel and all loses that come on the way to aerodynamical drag are included to aerodymamical drag percents (50%).

Aerodynamical and alternator part looks like ok. I trying to think way to divide others. (I can list only "end users of energy" and that's why the other section is harder) Table could be much more complicated but try start with quite simple (if this kind of table can be simple )

Here is the table at the moment in open office format:
www.student.oulu.fi/~torvinen/consumption.ods

We'll see if this is going to be totally useless... I try to show that it's not