View Single Post
Old 03-07-2010, 11:39 PM   #19 (permalink)
Ryland
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
The golf cart motor I'm using for my mock up is pretty standard and can be bought used for $100-200 from local golf cart shops, if you want you can also get the same type of motor off Ebay, but shipping tends to be around $100 on top of the $100-200 purchase price, that is why I want to do a kit that is based off common parts that anyone can pick up locally, why would you buy off the shelf parts from me? same with the batteries and controllers, they are all off the shelf parts that you can buy new or used from a golf cart shop, I plan to start out with my bike using the low priced good quality used parts to get an idea of what the performance would be on a budget build, but by removing 4 bolts and 4 wires you can swap the motor out, replace it with a 72 volt 15hp motor if you want, or a 3 phase brushless motor, with a design that is designed to use golf cart parts you have alot of options, but if you really want I can go to my local golf cart shop, buy a motor, mail it to you, charge you for my time, shipping cost and the cost of the motor, but what I would rather do is give you a long list of common motors that will work with the adapter plates I am trying to make.
If this works out like I hope it does, I want to make a motor end plate/end bell that bolts directly on to the motorcycle frame, with bearings and a shaft that fits between the motorcycle and the motor, it would have the 19 spline shaft on one end, that fits the electric motor in the same way that the golf cart axle did and the other end of the shaft is cut with 22 splines like the gas engine that was pulled out has, so to put this all together you just pull the engine (just over an hour with two people) fit the new 22 spline shaft in to where the gas engines splined shaft connected to the rear swing arm, reinstall the bolts that held the rear of the engine to the frame, then take the golf cart motor and slide that on to it's mating shaft, install 4 more bolts and the motor is bolted on without having done any cutting or welding and with a motor that is designed to move a vehicle, it also leaves the engine 100% intact, encase it's still good and you want to sell it or have other plans for it.
The electric motorcycle "kits" I've seen so far are mostly a motor and controller, they don't tell you what motorcycles it will fit or give you any of the other odd handmade parts you are going to need, they seem to figure "someone else figured this out so here, buy our parts and you can start from scratch just like they did!" I would rather someone say "this motor fits that motorcycle frame with this part" not that it might fit, or it could fit, but that it does and here's a shopping list just bolt it together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchast View Post
Well, I think You need to quantify what you are supplying first... Do you include the motor and what level, The controller? How much support are you willing to provide for the testing. Or do you just want to provide the End bell and motor mount.... that's a wide range of value. Are they all used recovered parts or is there any warranty on some of them?

Last edited by Ryland; 03-07-2010 at 11:55 PM..