Thread: Larger Hybrid
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2010, 02:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
ChristsMirror
EcoModding Lurker

Larger Hybrid

I would like to build a larger Hybrid. Every since I first found out about the Vixen 21TD I have wanted one. It gets 25-30 MPG in a 21 ft RV:
(How do you post images?) Has a .294 Cd, and sleeps 4(?) comfortably. I think this would be my regular driver as it already gets better FE than my 01 Montana. However, they are rare (I have gotten to ride in one, only about 350 made) And expensive (A cheap one runs $16,000US). I had heard that the dealer that originally bought the remaining parts after the company went under had several shells left but I could not find them.
So I have been considering starting with a Sprinter van. It gets 20-25 MPG and could be set up to sleep my family in comfort.

Why do I need a van? I live 100 miles from shopping. I would like to make a vehicle that is Electric but it would either have to go a minimum 200 miles per charge, or have a 100 mile per charge and get a charge while my family slept in the van. I would also like it to be able to go on longer trips as required by my business, so it must have the ability to extend its trip capacity.

Therefore, I feel that a van set up for electric operation capable of reaching 50 mph and a range of 20-30 Miles, with a diesel to achieve highway speeds would be best.
I would appreciate any help/suggestions for areo mods (full boattail starting just behind driver on hinge system so it can have full van capabilities when needed, chop and drop...), Also pros and cons of the different platforms and any other considerations.

My wife has already made evident that I have to do the mods on a different car than her Montana. However I could still get another similar vehicle to start with.
As this will probably be the only HEV I will ever have the opportunity to design I prefer to do it right the first time.

I have Pictures of all basic platforms, and have already used the HP estimator in the AreoMods thread to guesstimate Cd.