View Single Post
Old 03-08-2010, 10:44 PM   #11 (permalink)
AeroModder
Master EcoModder

Tank - '96 Ford Aspire 4 door
Team Ford
90 day: 46.75 mpg (US)
Well, the power steering pump went up in smoke on me today. Locked up the pulley and everything. I had to cut off a brand-new serpentine belt just to make it home.

I got another PS pump, but then I found out that because of the pressure it produces, you can't just fill it with fluid and plug off the lines. I don't have the tools to replace it myself, and shops I talked to all say you can't just gut it out and run it.

I'll have to rent a car until I can figure out what to do, and get someone to do the work I want.

UPDATE: I'll be installing an alternator and mount from the 3rd generation Tempos, which has an alt that uses the serpentine belt. I'm considerig deleting the AC compressor, but it spins quite easilly, so I might leave it for this summer when I have to go to California in July. I found a shop that'll do the work I want done (delete the PS pump without telling me I need to go back to power steering).

My rental car until I get the Tempo fixed is a 2008 Chevy Aveo. Not bad, but the drive-by-wire is crap. Response is very laggy, and pedal feel is nonexistant. Give me a throttle cable any day. Not a car I'd buy. Hopefully I'll be back in the Tempo in a few days. I have the rental for a week, if needed.

Last edited by AeroModder; 03-09-2010 at 06:59 PM..