View Single Post
Old 03-09-2010, 12:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
cfg83
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Clev -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clev View Post
Interesting. I wonder if this is a different pump than they put in the '04 Ion.
I am sure you have the problem (you might not see the pictures if you are not a member of saturnfans.com) :

ION Power Steering - SaturnFans Forums
Quote:
The power steering on my 2005 Ion went out. The dealer wants $900 to replace the steering column. I heard Saturn has come out with a fix that doesn't require the entire column be replaced and is much cheaper. Anyone heard about this?
SaturnFans Forums - View Single Post - ION Power Steering
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
Hello -

I found this. It uses a Chevy Cobalt as an example of how electric power steering works :

Electric Power Steering - Copyright AA1Car
Electric Power Steering

Quote:
CHEVY COBALT ELECTRIC POWER STEERING MODES

The General Motors EPS system has several modes of operation:

* Normal mode -- Left and right assist is provided in response to inputs and vehicle speed.

* Return mode -- Used to assist steering return after completing a turn. Feedback from the steering position sensor prevents the EPS system from "overshooting" the center position.

* Damper control mode -- Used to improve road feel and dampen kickback. This mode typically kicks in at higher vehicle speeds.

* Protection mode -- Protects electrical components from thermal damage and excessive current flow if the steering is held all the way to one side in the lock position too long.
I have an e-manual that explains 2005 Ion power steering control logic. I'll post that in the next few days.

SaturnFans Forums - View Single Post - ION Power Steering
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
Hello -

I got this from a flea-bay e-manual for an S-Series. But, lo and behold, it had Saturn Ion specs too :

Is it right to call it a pump? I think on all Ion's it's an electric motor attached to the steering shaft.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
The Following User Says Thank You to cfg83 For This Useful Post:
MetroMPG (03-09-2010)