View Single Post
Old 03-09-2010, 06:58 PM   #21 (permalink)
rmay635703
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechman600 View Post
You seem to see right through me! I have access to free diesel fuel. Like I said, I give this whole idea a 5% chance. If it doesn't work, at least I had fun trying. If it does, I'll be laughing my ass off.
It will work as I said and as Big Dave said there were spark fired diesel powered motors. If I can find the book it described quite plainly several small spark fired diesel motors and had breakouts showing their construction.

Also It would be strongly recommended that if you want the thing to have half a chance of working well enough to do something without breaking to do some modifications to the motor

Perhaps add glow plugs

And as suggested, add something flamable to coax ignition, cut with ether or gas perhaps.

I am uncertain on this regard but it would seem to me that diesel would be much more "lightable" if you increase the compression ratio of the engine just below the autoignition point, likely 12:1 but you also might get a lot of knocking so a cast iron piston would be needed.

As stated, probably will work if its warm enough around you but likely not very well.

And again, why not just get a cheap diesel engine?

They will run cleaner and better on the fuel.