View Single Post
Old 03-09-2010, 07:36 PM   #37 (permalink)
rmay635703
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
We have just been using the van AS-is. Though I added an ammeter and 12v meter.

We have purchased a new set of greensaver 6v 250ahr batteries which seem to be working "OK" thus far

When we do want an occasional increase in speed I have a field reduction setup which can move the van up to about 35mph or so but only during "optimal" conditions.

Normal speed is stuck between 28-33mph depending on the temperature outside.

Ideally we would move to 72v and regear into 3rd, sadly the transmission is just too expensive and far away to justify and 72v won't work since I have a nice and expensive 48v set of greensavers in the van for testing. Also voltage moves require

1. New controller
2. New charger
3. Royally messed up battery box configurations (not sure where to put them when using 6v golf cart type)
4. Very strange inbalanced wiring to the dash and contactors

I would love to have a transmission (more than 72v actually) but can't justify it.

Since it does what we need it to do at 28mph around town why mess with a good thing? Also at 48v at top speed we are only using 144 watt/mile

Which ain't half bad!

I have considered a bypass contactor, sadly though the batteries for the bypass would have to go in the back of the vehicle REALLY far away from the motor, bleh! And I already have 3 sitting on the ass end of the car now which makes for more drag and wear on the rearend.

Cheers
Ryan