View Single Post
Old 03-09-2010, 09:01 PM   #18 (permalink)
cfg83
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
thatguitarguy -

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguitarguy View Post
Just how dirty is it under your dash?? Maybe you could vacuum out the inside of your car once in a while. I've seen dust, but nothing like what there would be under the hood. It seems like a circuit breaker or fuse should protect the motor if it gets too hot.

I had a full size '69 Ford van that had no power steering, and that was OK out on the road, but it was very hard to park.

"Power" brakes run on vacuum. Just how much power can they rob? Especially for a hyper-miler??
I think that is exactly what causes the loss in power steering. The motor overheats, the control module disables it, and the car steers like a brick. I have read that the temporary fix is to wait until the motor cools off and start up the car as normal. You will have power steering until it overheats again.

The "dirty motor theory" is based on something I read here :

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
Hello -

I just read this and I wonder if it's the ultimo-cheapo solution. It's for a Cobalt, but they are the same design (right?!?!?!?), sooooo :

The Chevrolet Cobalt: Power Steering Problems - Second page of comments
The Chevrolet Cobalt: Power Steering Problems - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com
Quote:
jstar (Guest):
Nothing needs to be replaced to fix this problem. It is just an accumulation of "dust" from the brushes inside the motor that is causing an intermittent short. My wife's car was doing the same thing. We could not go 100 yards without the steering going out. After checking all the post on the internet it didn't sound right to me that the steering column or even just the motor would need to be replaced if it is resetting when you turn the key off and back on. All you need to do is remove 2 bolts that hold the PS motor in place on the steering column, and 1 electrical connection. The motor will slide right out. Once the motor is removed, remove the 2 bolts that hold the back housing (black can) on to the front of the motor. you don't have to worry about any brushes or anything falling out, everything is self-contained. Once this is apart you will notice a lot of soot built up inside. This is what is causing the problem. Get a can of electrical motor cleaner, or brake cleaner from Add a ... [rest of post is missing] ...
Comment Posted on 08/25/2009 at 6:08:23 AM
The comment was cut off, but it appears that in some cases, the motor just gets "dusty" and needs to be cleaned. A dusty motor can overheat. The bottom line is, if the motor has not completely burnt out, it may just need some TLC.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society