Thread: New aveo member
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2010, 11:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Thymeclock
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Jolley View Post
I have a 2005 Aveo. Although I am VERY happy with the reliability of the car for the past 5 years, I have not been satisfied with the mileage. Recently, I noticed that if I don't force the transmission to upshift, it will remain in a lower gear far too long. Since the transmission is so smooth, and the car (engine) is so quiet, I hadn't noticed, but I believe that the delayed shifts hurt my gas mileage.
The engine isn't very quiet, but the transmission is very smooth, so it is hard to tell where the upshifts occur. I suspect it doesn't go into high gear until over 40 mph. My old Celica would go into overdrive (fifth gear) at about 38 mph., which probably helped the mileage on that model.

Quote:
Now that I force the transmission to shift (by lifting off of the gas pedal completely) I have noticed improved (but still not satisfactory) mileage. I think that this is possibly a flaw in the transmission.
That wouldn't be a 'flaw' per se, but I don't think your letting up on the throttle is making it shift, just making it glide in whatever gear it is in. I'm leaning to thinking that what is known as 'pulse & glide' might be the necessary strategy for it.

Quote:
I also plan to experiment with MANUALLY shifting the transmission and using the HOLD feature to try for higher mileage.
How would you do that? It certainly wouldn't be of any use to keep it in hold in first or second gear.