View Single Post
Old 03-11-2010, 12:29 AM   #15 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thymeclock View Post
Lucky you. I assume you don't do severe condition driving (all city, with lots of stop & go in heavy traffic.)

As fluid ages, it starts to break down. I prefer to change it often and keep it clean. From what you said I gather that you never clean out the pan and filter, either. If you ever do, it may change your mind...
"Beat the hell out of them" usually refers to worse than city driving. In fact, city driving is a picnic compared to the things I've done with auto transmissions.

I'm well aware of what happens to fluid, as well, and your preference is noted, and not under debate here.

I've cleaned pans and replaced filters, at the same times I change fluid.

If I change the fluid, it's a pan drop, filter change, and TC drain/removal. I literally change ALL the fluid at once, clean the pan, and inspect the transmission valve body for signs of damage/wear.

In fact, my wife's L200 (2001 Saturn) had 237k on it when we bought it, and NEVER had the transmission fliud or filter changed in it. I bought it from the original owner with a bad timing chain, replaced the engine, changed the filter and fluid, cleaned the pan, and all's well. This car doesn't have a dipstick for the transmission fluid. You're not supposed to change it. Ever.

When I cleaned the pan, after 237k miles, there was nothing in the pan. Pinkish fluid, and not even enough metal shavings to actually cover the 1" square magnet in the pan (OE installed).

This is basically the experience I've had with almost all the transmissions that, by your maintenance schedule, would be considered "severely neglected".

I feel the same way about it when people still insist on changing oil at 3,000 miles, as well, so it's not just you.