View Single Post
Old 03-11-2010, 12:57 AM   #16 (permalink)
Thymeclock
Banned

Quote:

In fact, my wife's L200 (2001 Saturn) had 237k on it when we bought it, and NEVER had the transmission fliud or filter changed in it. I bought it from the original owner with a bad timing chain, replaced the engine, changed the filter and fluid, cleaned the pan, and all's well. This car doesn't have a dipstick for the transmission fluid. You're not supposed to change it. Ever.
You just cited the #1 reason why I seriously considered but didn't buy a Saturn. IMHO, it doesn't have a dipstick because it's cheaper for them to omit it - and far tougher to check or change the fluid without it.

Quote:
When I cleaned the pan, after 237k miles, there was nothing in the pan. Pinkish fluid, and not even enough metal shavings to actually cover the 1" square magnet in the pan (OE installed).
If "pinkish fluid" doesn't bother you, then I need say no more. I've seen discolored fluid and particles in pans at 30k miles. (But on your dipstick-less Saturn, there's no way you could know the condition of the fluid.)

Quote:
This is basically the experience I've had with almost all the transmissions that, by your maintenance schedule, would be considered "severely neglected".
Maybe not "neglected", but with no dipstick it's "out of sight, out of mind".

Quote:
I feel the same way about it when people still insist on changing oil at 3,000 miles, as well, so it's not just you.
Oh, I'm "worse" than that. I change engine oil at 3 months and filter every 6 months, regardless of mileage. After having a few engines succumb to sludge due to 'severe condition' use I learned that frequent oil changes are an inexpensive precaution.

"An ounce of prevention is worth..."