View Single Post
Old 03-12-2010, 11:21 AM   #10 (permalink)
whitevette
EcoModding Apprentice

Right on !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Furney View Post
On a limited budget, one sometimes has to stick to the simple things that work.

What I've done to my 1999 Crown Vic, is install a throttle limiter at the throttle body where the linkage operates. It consists of a long travel ball detent set screw, adjusted so the throttle can open far enough to overcome the moment of inertia at 65 mph.

The driving experience I suppose is like driving a restrictor plate race car. You won't win any drag races, but it will go faster than most speed limits.

No other modifications made to the rest of the car.

Don't know what the fuel mileage for the car before the installation, but now average 24 in town and 28.5 highway. Never checked before the price of gas went crazy.

Part cost? Really cheap.
What you are also suggesting is : The right foot (in this country , lol) controls the flow of gasoline. Keeping it still gives the best fuel useage. Any sudden movement hurts gas consumption ("down" on the gas pedal calls for more gas flow; "up" to slow will eventually create a demand for increasing one's speed - more "down" on the gas pedal).
Steady-state fuel delivery is the name of this game ... using one's eyes to drive ahead of situations (traffic stop-&-go, oncoming hills / grades, stoplight cycles, etc.) helps, too. Anything which reduces the need for altering the velocity of this large mass known as a vehicle will help fuel consumption. Inertia rules!
This is not fun. Look at it as a challenge. Drivers behind you may get annoyed because you're "in their way" ... but when they start paying my gas bill, I will go as fast as they want me to go.
I have been stopped before by our illustrious highway patrol for "impeding traffic" (I was going 53 in a 55 zone; everybody else insisted on going 65!). We had a delightful conversation in his cruiser... I got a warning ticket :-) .