View Single Post
Old 03-12-2010, 11:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
It doesn't work for everyone...

A man walking saw a man sitting tear a $50 in half. He stopped and asked the sitting man why he would do such a thing, and the man replied: "For every time I tear a $50 in half, I get $100..."

Of course, the walking man promptly pulled a $50 from his pocket, and tore it in half, without letting the sitting man finish his sentence. Disappointed when it didn't work, he figured he'd done it wrong, and tore another, the opposite direction this time. Still nothing. Having wasted $100 at this point, he walked away in disgust, leaving the now destroyed bills to blow in the wind.

The sitting man chuckled to himself as he picked up the torn bills, and finished his sentence under his breath: "...because there's always some fool walking by, who thinks it should work for him as well."

Moral - Just because it works for someone else, doesn't mean you can instantly apply it to yourself. It often is helpful to understand why it works for the other person, then determine if your circumstances are similar.

EDIT:
I thought of this as a metaphor for why a mod won't necessarily work for one person or another, just because it worked for someone else. I originally posted it to combat the idea that just because it worked for "this guy I know", it will work universally, in all applications. One runs into this attitude alot in this world, where people listen and follow without understanding.

Last edited by Christ; 03-13-2010 at 01:27 AM..