View Single Post
Old 03-27-2008, 11:58 PM   #27 (permalink)
Chris D.
EcoModding Minded

Lunar Mist - '02 Toyota Tacoma SR5
90 day: 25.31 mpg (US)

Silver Streak - '08 Toyota Corolla S
90 day: 38.25 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to Chris D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
Do you have some info or experiences to show other wise. I don't think anyone will tell you run over max sidewall pressures for liability reason just like no ones going to say drive 80 in a 55.

As mention lots of folks are running 50 psi and have gone through set with no ill effects. Auto crosser run higher pressures, stun drivers, and police departments without problems. Personaly I don't think there is that much to be gained between 40- 50 except a rougher ride. But if you have some info please share.
I've been an avid Autocrosser for well over 12 years in several different classes..
I worked as a manager of a tire shop for 6 years..

Tires were my thing..

I've ran upwards of 65-70psi while autocrossing on yoko ao32r's because my sidwall indication marks called for it to eliminate roll..

I aligned my own vehicles myself for a variety of different setups which include drag racing, autocross, offroading and recentally commuting.
I've also specialized in countless hours of setting up cars for dynamic alignment (look it up) as well as the standard static alighnment.

If you understand how tires are made (and I do) dd your tires above your specs can cause belt seperation, material fatigue, warping, ect.

one tiny pothole at those #'s will give you a sidewall bubble in a heartbeat, possibly a blow out.. for what little gain you get, its truely not worth it for your safety, others or your ride comfort.. Sometimes FE can be taken too far.. To me over inflated tires are like coasting with the engine off, its just not a good idea and if something happens, your vehicle mite not be able to combat the situation as well as it could because your using the item in ways it was not intended to do..

Sure you can, but just because you can, doesn't mean you should.
I could do 115mph in my truck easily, but I dont.. but have..
I've gotten my autocrosser up on 2 wheels just for fun/show off..

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebuchet03 View Post
I didn't come up with that one

It's Engineering my friend This is why you've got a bunch of members with over inflated tires stating they don't have center wear
theres still much more force on the centers and there will always be more wear than the outters, it mite not be all too noticable or enought for you to worry about replaceing the tires, but they do wear more by doing this..

saying that it doesnt make a difference whatsoever is a bit off..
you mite not physically be able to see it, but with a depth guage you can..

why not get the most out of your tires.. the cost of the tires vs the fe you loose at a safe psi isn't worth it..

crunch the numbers and see.. safety vs. fe..