View Single Post
Old 03-13-2010, 08:03 PM   #18 (permalink)
Ryland
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
At one time I found the ratio of the rear gear reduction but I can't find it now, just spinning the rear tire and watching the UV joint spin it looks like a 2.8:1 ratio or so and that sounds about right, either 2.8 or 2.85:1, not sure what other shaft drive bikes run at, but with a bike that has close to an 80" circumference on the tire it seems about perfect, also if I want a faster bike 3,200-3,600 RPM motors are pretty common, as I said before I can even get an affordable 3 phase motor and I think a used golf cart motor plus the CNC parts and adapter shaft is going to cost less then a new Etek motor and should give you more power.
Oranage4boy, what bike are you going to use? I might have some odd parts left over once I'm done if you want to pick up a golf cart motor as well.
My other brother shows some interest in this project as he is looking to buy a motorcycle this summer and said that as long as it goes "fast enough" he would think about it, so I might have a 2nd one going right away if this one doesn't have any weird bugs.

Clev: After seeing what kind of issues this motorcycle has with it's gas engine and doing research on the rest of the bike I would get more and more excited about it every time I would find more info about it to the point that I would get giddy talking about it or even just thinking about it, like that the frame opens up once the engine is removed, the rear gear ratio is near perfect for an electric motor, the fully dressed bike is big and heavy so a striped down version should handle great with batteries, it's really common with new and after market parts avalible, as it really is the perfect bike to be electric, it just needs a handful of odd parts to make this weird motor fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange4boy View Post
Excellent!

My bike has a drive shaft too. it will be interesting to see your solution.

Am I seeing that right that you have no reduction? I guess the low rpm of that motor makes it do-able for a shaft bike.

Last edited by Ryland; 03-13-2010 at 09:11 PM..