Thread: Super MPGuino?
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2010, 10:50 PM   #93 (permalink)
gtkid2002
EcoModding Apprentice

The Bug - '69 Volkswagen Bug Base
Well, it'll be a bit longer than expected. I have finals this week and next, so I won't get much done at all. I am also not driving the Fiat. The shift lever has a rubber rung on it, and over time these degrade. Guess what finally gave when I was shifting into fifth gear on my way home from getting the last parts for the license plate lights.

So now it will be sitting until I can get done with my finals and get the parts installed.

The fiat has an odd chunk of wood on the dash for the center, and it is warped, and doesn't really seem to fit right. So I think I'll be replacing that, so when I do that, I'll just install the Super MPGuino smack dab in the dash. I'll leave a USB port visible underneath the dash so I can just get a laptop in the car and play with it as I go.

It does have a MAP/MAF whatever sensor *braindead* smack dab on the intake. Only problem for me is that I can't install a hot air intake, or a cold air intake, because if I take that off, it won't even idle for more than thirty seconds. It's a massive air restriction as well, so I might try and consider updating it with a sensor from a Honda or something. It's literally a massive flap that gets pushed back by the incoming air. It takes quite a bit of force to move it, and I can hear it pop back into position when I punch and drop the throttle. It's very odd, but on this car, there isn't much that seems normal to me.

I'm still not sure if it's a points system, because it has the condenser, but I thought I read somewhere that in 1978 Fiat moved away from the points system. I'll find out AFTER I can get the 70 dollar manual, haha.

So much for Aeromodding this though, which kind of sucks. I could mod the headlight buckets with some clear acrylic or something, but it depends on how badly that kills it's looks. It is a classic Fiat, so it should have some class still.But at least it is a really light car, so it should get better city mpg that my Prelude could. That and it's a five speed, with no CEL indicator, which means I can do the temporary killswitch on it, and it won't go into limp mode *rich and retarded tuning to prevent damage* like the Prelude did as well.

I love this car, but at the same time I want to just sell it. For now I'm gonna keep it and fix it up. It's just going to be incredibly expensive until I get the rag top fixed. Then it should be cheap.

But yeah, just thought I'd update with a notice of no updates for a while.

1969 VW Bug - Daily Driver
1975 VW Baja - Current Project
Priors:
1989 Honda Prelude Si 4WS (RIP)
1995 Honda Prelude Si (Traded)
1980 Fiat Spider 2000 (Sold)