View Single Post
Old 03-15-2010, 06:01 PM   #41 (permalink)
vpoppv
The $500 Electric Car

Ok, so Spring Break is here, but, unfortunately, my motivation isn't. Today I will be doing the final de-ICEing of the Toyota; i.e.: removing the gas tank and exhaust. I have done absolutely NOTHING with this car since putting it in the carport. This depresses me. I SHOULD be piecing together the controller, but I just lack the inspiration. I plan on just running my spare Curtis 1209b for now, and one day the REAL controller will go in. This may be as far away as summer. Tomorrow I plan on starting/finishing the battery rack. I'm looking for a simple single row of six group 31 batteries in the trunk for now. Since I already have the batteries, that makes this step pretty simple, and will not require too much creativity on my part. Later on, I will see how many I can fit up front where the radiator/condensor were. Hopefully there will be room for 4. I finally mustered up the courage to power up my motor for the first time. It is a horrible quality video, and after I got my light and tripod setup, the camera battery died and the charger is nowhere to be found. The sound instantly took me back to San Francisco: it sound just like the BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit, basically a subway). It has considerably more torque than the motor I am using in the Geo. And it just plain SOUNDS cooler. White Zombie, watch out......