View Single Post
Old 03-18-2010, 03:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
coletrain777
EcoModding Lurker

Ethel - '92 Honda Civic VX
90 day: 53.44 mpg (US)
OK,
So here's where we are at so far.

My car is a totally stock 92 civic vx:
stock wheels
175/70/13 tires (will probably go back to original size when needed)
all stock engine and exhaust
new air filter
new plugs (although they are autolite... should I switch to ngk zfr4f-11)

I just went out an cleaned the egr (it looked pretty good), and then took it for another drive... no change.

Here's what I believe is happening; the dead feel is the car entering lean burn, but the problem is that it has NO power once it kicks in. When I say it has no power I mean NO power. It will not keep speed or accelerate even downhill (small grade not mountain) unless I blip the throttle to kick it out of lean burn. So my question is what would cause it to act like this when in lean burn? I am sure it should probably be able to hold speed on a totally flat road at medium speed (50-70 mph).

Car seems to idle fine, drives great either with the o2 sensor unplugged or with enough throttle to keep it out of lean burn. The only thing that needs immediate attention is the exhaust has a leak in the middle of the pipe (2 feet before the cat), could this small lack of backpressure cause the condition I am describing?

1. Do I need to change the plugs immediately?
2. Does it sound like an o2 sensor problem?
3. Could the exhaust be causing the problem?
4. Any other ideas???

I am getting ready to start traveling for work in a few days and would like to have this somewhat ironed out by the time I do (so I can start getting those mid 40+ mpg's).