View Single Post
Old 03-19-2010, 03:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,228 Times in 4,655 Posts
units

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandilon View Post
I cut a small hole in the highest pressure area of this van's engine cover and installed a rubber hose. I got a clear plastic bottle half-filled with water and inserted this hose partially beneath the water surface.

I ran this van to 45 MPH by the time bubbles started to surface. This was in stock configuration.

I then 'installed' the snow plow and couldn't get any bubbling at 68 MPH. I slowed down since the speed limit was 60 and traffic didn't warrant a higher speed.

I never re-tested this at a higher speed and my question was/is: how many 'inch-pounds' were there before and after the snow plow change.

The fact that I wasn't getting any bubbles at 68 MPH obviously proves that the air was flowing easier 'around' this vehicle.

My Q is: Does anyone know the 'approximate' inch-pouns of pressure under the average hood, say at 60 MPH?

THX in advance!
If you were looking for your 'ram' pressure at 60 mph,you'd be working with inches of water column pressure.Dwyer makes some reasonably priced pitot-tubes,U-tube manometers,and magnehelics which will provide you accurate low-pressure readings.
The 'snow plow' has completely blocked the ram air from the engine bay.If you can get a look at Hucho's book,I believe he has complete pressure profiles for some cars where you might see what you're interested in.