View Single Post
Old 03-21-2010, 12:01 AM   #18 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Agreed. I'm looking at that pic trying to figure out how you would mod the existing folding top frame to work with a windshield that's been chopped 2-3 inches. Oh, and what to do about the door windows.

Do all those aero mods, stick in a Solectria AC drive system from a Force sedan with a lithium pack in it, and Bob's your uncle: a cool little EV. But I digress!
What about a folding hard top? Something framed out, but simple, that can fold together into a trunk-sized piece for cruisin' days?

Else just a plain 'ole removable hard top, a'la Miata roadster, tapered back like the Corvette Stingray models?

I'm actually thinking that one of those could be made out of a wire frame work, in relation to an umbrella, so that it holds a fabric liner tightly in place while being used, but collapses into a flat frame a few inches thick with folds of fabric on it?

Best part, it could be made to be used without actually removing the fabric top that already exists. Put the OE top down, attach the new top to the windshield mounting points and make a few random points along it to attach while you manually open it to it's extreme tip, locking each transom bar into place.

Application time might be less than a few minutes, once you're used to doing it, and it doesn't affect restorability of OE parts/status. Could also use OE body lines to mount, such as deck lid/upper body seam, and decklid/rear body seam, using J-hooks sewn into the fabric or attached to a transom bar/rod.

In case you can't tell, I spent your EV budget on drinks tonite.