View Single Post
Old 03-28-2008, 02:16 PM   #22 (permalink)
LostCause
Liberti

Thunderbird - '96 Ford Thunderbird
90 day: 27.75 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
because of the low hight of the peek of your roof (18") I still think you are going to be best off insulating your attic space, and even adding normal non powered roof vents, $50 later and you will have a well insulated, vented attic, keeping your ceiling cool, and adding resale value to your house, a white roof will also add resale value to a house in Arizona, because the shingles will last longer, and your cooling bills will be lower, white roof paint looks to be about $25 a gallon, and should cover 100-150 square feet of roof, last many years and it will never blow away.
I highly agree with everything said here. Insulation, vent fan, and white paint. I suppose it depends on purity of the color, but white paint should reflect nearly the equivalent of a mirrored surface. It's cheap, easy, durable, and less likely to piss off the neighbors...and less conspicuous.

Since it's so dry there, I think a swamp cooler could easily take care of all your A/C needs. Cheap to buy, run, and maintain. Not to mention, it'll help with the quality of life...especially the nose bleeds...

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebuchet03
Wow, that Earthship thing is totally cool! Thanks for linking
Thank you Ed Begley.

- LostCause

Last edited by LostCause; 03-28-2008 at 02:22 PM..