View Single Post
Old 03-21-2010, 07:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
apple
EcoModding Lurker

Hello from England (thats England, UK!)

Hi all!

Stumbled across this forum whilst trying to find tips to get better mileage out of my 'little' car, i tend to do an awful lot of mileage so any saving is appreciated really!

currently, i think the most i've ever gotten out of a full tank which is 10 gallons is 360ish miles, so thats 36mpg, way off the quoted figures for my car.....and speaking about car:

2006 Nissan Note SVE
1.6L Petrol engine

quoted MPG's are:
Fuel consumption (urban) 33.2 mpg
Fuel consumption (extra urban) 50.4 mpg
Fuel consumption (combined) 42.2 mpg
0 - 62 mph 10.7 seconds
Top speed 114 mph

a nice little car, however, as you can tell, i'm not getting anywhere near the quoted MPG's let alone anything better!

my mileage per day consists of the following:
3miles of local inner city roads, 18 miles of motorway at 70mph, 3 miles of dual carriageway at 50mph, 2 miles of dual carriageway at 30mph

that is just for me to GET to university, double that for me to get back and the mileage racks up!

my understanding is that i should at least get close to the combined cycle if not extra urban, but i'd like some tips to get better mileage from the people who know whats going on!

I used to shift straight up to 5th gear as soon as i could, this i realised was not very good for mpg's until i started to shift slightly higher in the rev range between 1800-2500rpm's

can anyone suggest any further tips?

many thanks