View Single Post
Old 03-22-2010, 07:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Nerys
Grrr :-)

Cherokee - '88 Jeep Cherokee
90 day: 19.44 mpg (US)

Ryo-Ohki - '94 Geo Metro Xfi
90 day: 50.15 mpg (US)

Vger 2 - '00 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE

Ninja - '89 Geo Tracker
90 day: 30.27 mpg (US)
You know frank you could be right. Maybe its not the Ethanol. I don't know. all anecdotal evidence clearly says its fuel. This "appears" to be confirmed when I go out of state where ethanol is not used as much and my Fuel Economy suddenly returns to normal.

I will still fully admit it could be my cars. but WHAT could afflict so many cars from some many generations and manufacturer's all the same way? as for testing on NON ethanol after going to ethanol I have only done that on 3 cars.

The van when I travel out of state. its mileage returned to normal.

The Jeep I ran it on stale gas from the RV and its FE went back to normal while I was on that gas (it was 4 or 5 years old so it was pre ethanol at the time over a year ago)

My minivan. when I changed the fuel pump in my second it still had about 10 gallons of pre ethanol fuel in the tank. I thought it was bad fuel (it was the pump not the fuel)

not wanting to waste what was at the time $40 in gasoline I decided to dump it into the minivan filling its take with almost the entire 10 gallons.

on that nearly 50/50 mixture my MPG's went up to 26 (not quite the 28 I used to get) on the next tank it was back down to 18mpg (this was before I found out wawa got me better mpg's)

but I admit as daming as this is its not long term enough to be conclusive thats why I want to try this. Get to the bottom of it even if it means its not the fuel at least I will know.