View Single Post
Old 03-23-2010, 09:10 AM   #107 (permalink)
AaronD
EcoModding Lurker

Very nice. Can't wait to see how that works out. If I'm reading correctly, you're not changing the duration of the inlet valve opening, but the timing of when it opens/closes, right?

Speaking of gearsets, does Craig Vetter have his new CVT set installed yet? I haven't been following him lately.

Last, I've been looking at engine donors for a similar high mileage project and recently stumbled on the '09 Suzuki LTZ 400 ATV. It peaked my interest because its the smallest EFI engine I've been able to find. There is someone working on a bolt-on EFI replacement kit for GY6 engine (up to 250cc) carbs, but its not available yet. I thought the 400cc ATV might even be the same engine as your Burgman since they're both Suzuki, but a quick search on the specs shows its a 398cc engine with much different bore/stroke (90 x 62.6) than your '99 Burgman which was 385cc (83 x 71.2). I started looking at smaller Suzukis for a possible de-bore mod like you did, but before I get too far down that road I was curious how changing the swept volume would affect the EFI mapping and what it might take to adjust and retune that. If its too complicated/expensive, it might be worthwhile finding a different engine donor or sticking with the stock 400. I know that one of the advantages of EFI is that it auto adjusts for some changes (temp, elevation, etc.), but didn't know how it would behave if it was only working with 300 or 250cc instead of the 398 it was built for.

Any insight you can provide on how the EFI works or what it would take to modify it?

Thanks in advance,
Aaron...

PS. Sorry about this drifting off topic a bit, but the forum won't let me post PMs or e-mails without a higher post count, and I don't wast to throw meaningless posts in just to pad the numbers.