View Single Post
Old 03-23-2010, 03:23 PM   #41 (permalink)
squirrelladdict
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mifunego View Post
Hmm, this does all make me wonder though, what are our motivations here on ecomodder? The concept that I (perhaps mistakenly?) intuited from the name "ecomodder" would be modders (folks who modify) vehicles for reasons of economy (assumedly fuel economy). I think that modders are those who enjoy taking an active part in customizing vehicles for reasons of appearance, higher performance, or in this case, better fuel economy. I mean, right at the top of the page it says: "Wrench smart. Drive smarter. Save fuel." I interpret that as, "Mod your vehicle to use less fuel. Drive your vehicle in a way to use less fuel. These are ways your vehicle can use less fuel." I don't see, "Buy a Prius" as part of the philosophy. If that's all it took, this would be a pretty boring website.

I may be wrong though.
That's only partially true. Some vehicles are designed so poorly from the factory that you must change the motor or transmission or other items to make any noticeable difference in FE. Design plays a huge role in how fuel economy is achieved. My 1.6L integra got the same fuel mileage as my 2.3L accord. The reason is technology and gearing and many other things. My point is that sometimes your gains will be minimal now matter how much work you put into it and the only solution is to start from a completely different design.