View Single Post
Old 03-25-2010, 06:12 PM   #37 (permalink)
Allch Chcar
EtOH

Cordelia - '15 Mazda Mazda3 i Sport
90 day: 37.83 mpg (US)
Cool

Crud I almost extended this discussion.

If you're willing to pennypinch this much that you will take premium unleaded over G90/E10 Regular I think you should consider this carefully. I don't know the year of your Flea but if you believe that the poor mileage is due to your vehicle's incompatibility with ethanol than you probably know by now you need to run (Premium) 100% Gasoline. The common phrase parroted is that Post 96 vehicles can "tolerate" ethanol upto 10%, but they're not designed for ethanol use. E85 flexfuel vehicles are not designed for 85% Ethanol vs E98(the highest blend) they're Gasoline cars designed to run good on everyday G90/E10 and run exactly the same on E85 but with less mileage. The vehicles designed to tolerate Ethanol fuel are almost all made after 2001 and most definitely not Imports until much later than that. It was just a couple years ago Lexus/Toyota and VW had a recall for Ethanol incompatibility. Ford on the other hand has been using ethanol friendly components since at least '94. That's just an example. When Ethanol was introduced in the 70's-80's there were problems on many cars.

The social benefits of Ethanol have been proven, but have not been the popular opinion. Ethanol is more expensive here on an energy basis when Gasoline is less than $3 a gallon but I'm willing to pay that higher price based on the social benefits, it shouldn't be a requirement mandated by law. If they can't make you pledge allegiance to your Country's flag and they can't make you acknowledge God in schools then they shouldn't make you support a fuel that you believe is morally wrong. That's my opinion, and I'm also of the opinion that if you educate yourself of it's merits, facts, traits, and look at upto date and accurate not just "unbiased" information you'll at least see why I support Ethanol as a fuel. /End Ranting. I tried to keep it simple and to the point .