View Single Post
Old 03-26-2010, 06:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
drooling,but caution flag on field

Quote:
Originally Posted by botsapper View Post
I did an aero study on the Honda Jazz/Fit two-box body shape design. I added an annular spoiler or 'duct' wing instead of the typical boat tail shapes on eco-modded vehicles. The theory that a complete rear 'ring wing' would extend the encompassing flow to a controlled tapered & longer terminal edges. I conceded the flow break from the body shape to a clean front edge of the 'duct' wing. So many wing manufacturers could just create a complete ring for an cleaner aero taper? Just saying...

My taste buds are going for it! It's extremely evocative! But my right lobe is fighting it.
I believe that on the sides,the flow will separate and everything will be embedded within turbulence at a base pressure commensurate with the point of separation.The foil would provide some cleanup as it 'forces' some of the wake architecture,but unless it was purely airtight all around I'm afraid that it would not perform as well.
And without a 'back wall' the base of the wake would be no smaller,which violates the tenets of boat tailing.
Beautiful Photo Shop work!