View Single Post
Old 03-27-2010, 03:35 PM   #12 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,221 Times in 4,648 Posts
hollow

Quote:
Originally Posted by botsapper View Post
I concede not being 'airtight' on the strict boat tail theories. I was intrigued by complex F1 rear airfoil designs. They are entirely 'separate' structures highly sculpted & tuned for down force but they are also used for turbulence control. The deep vertical end plates close a 'loop' around the rear, supposedly to shape & minimize turbulences and vortices. It reminded me of closed box wing designs. Closed wing surfaces has the benefit of minimal wingtip vortices which occur with conventional wings or corner body shapes, associated with induced drag. Closed flow surfaces, eliminates wingtip or corner drag. I also envision a tighter flow @ higher speeds. A hollow boat tail, if you will. Easier to fab & still allow to access rear hatches. Rear lights visibility, iffy.
If I had some loose cash,I'd pay some grad students to model it and put it in a tunnel for investigation.
It has that "OMG I've got to have that!" appeal.
I've seen two aircraft which use the wing design.
NASA even experimented with the 'large eddy breakup device LEBU' although it straddled the fuselage rather than attach at the rear.
I could see the 'fast and the furious set' all over this thing.
If you build it,I recommend you stay away from the San Fernando Valley,you'll need Police protection to keep the chicks off of you!