Thread: xr-3, anyone?
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2010, 08:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
artificer
EcoModding Lurker

I'm starting my build of the XR3. The engine is coming from The Surplus Center in Nebraska. The D902 is $1895. Normal dealer price is over $3500.

Look on the Yahoo groups for the XR3 list. The plans have a few errors and missing drawings, but with the list members, people are building the vehicles.

My projected cost is going to be around $4k-$5k. Others have spend upwards of $10k for theirs. Then again, simple rear assembly mounts that I can cast/machine for a couple of bucks are costing them $400 for a pair, or $150/pair for a multiple set order.

Then there's the choice of what you use for materials. Some have wheels that are over $125 each, while I'm going to be buying junk yard Cavalier wheels. Don't get me started on the big fat low profile tires that go for big $$$ that people are buying. I want tall narrow low RR tires. I've found some Michelin Traction TA's that are taller (lower cruise rpm's) that are good for mileage, as well as being only 1/2 to 1/3 the cost. But to each their own...

Michael