View Single Post
Old 03-29-2008, 03:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Harry6
EcoModding Lurker

Driving the Scanguage for FE

A few days ago I hooked up my new Scanguage II and am trying to learn how to get the most out of it in order to help maximize FE on my 04 Camry 4cyl automatic. Of course, since this is an automatic, it's more difficult.

I'm pretty new here, so this is just a part of my overall learning to drive for better FE.

What readouts do you find are most useful for learning to max FE? What is the best way to use them?

I have it set to display current FE, Average FE for the trip, LOD, and speed.

When accelerating from a stop, or from a low to higher speed, how do you determine the optimum rate of acceleration?

On the highway, I have been experimenting with bleeding off speed uphill and making it up on the downhill. How do you use the scangauge to help optimize this process?

I was quite surprised at the wide range of instanteous MPG readings that I get on the scanguage. Starting from a stop, readings are in the single digits. Cruising at 60 mph on a very flat section of road, it can be around 50 mpg. On a slight downhill at 60, it can top 60mpg, but on the uphill leg, mileage drops dramatically. Up a modest incline at 50mph, FE can be around 22. The mpg is extremely sensitive to very tiny changes in throttle.

My sense, confirmed by readings on this forum, is that slow, very gentle acceleration, is not the best for FE (though it probably helps to minimize wear and tear). Rather, it seems sensible to try to have the engine and transmission operating at a point of high effeciency. Where is that point? Can the Scangauge point to it?

Thanks,
Harry