View Single Post
Old 03-31-2010, 05:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Peter7307
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
Just wondering about the rpms and fuel consumption of different engines while idling. Share your data, and please give info on the car and it's engine.

My Peugeot 307sw has a 1.6 liter HDi turbodiesel engine with 80kW (110hp). It idles @ 820rpm when rolling and 740rpm when stopped. When warmed up (coolant temp 80°C/176°F) the fuel consumption is 0.60 lph (0.16 gph) while rolling and 0.52 liters (0.14 US gallons) per hour at standstill.

I've noticed that the per hour consumption can increase by as much as 10% just by pressing the brake - could this be only from the added electrical load of the stop lights (55W total), or is the brake assist adding a load to the vacuum pump on the engine?
The increased consumption is most likely mostly the vacuum required to be produced not the electrical load.
You could disconnect the brake switch and see if it changes.

The Ford engine 4.0 litre six cylinder non diesel , VVT and variable intake manifold uses a between 1.5 and 2.0 litres at idle (850 rpm) in neutral for the manual variant.
Info from Ford in a release about the then "New" engine (2008 I think) and still in production.

Pete.