View Single Post
Old 03-31-2010, 11:24 PM   #19 (permalink)
KITT222
Ecomodder en route

Vib - '04 Pontiac Vibe base
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertSmalls View Post
Plus, the "sedan" bodystyle is foolish. Give me a hatchback or a streamlined body, or I'm not interested.
The Volt is a hatchback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkp1187 View Post
I think that's a little unfair -- my understanding was that GM took an off-the-shelf 4-cyl engine (from the Cruze, I think?) because that way it could shorten development time keep costs down.
The off-the-shelf 4-cylindar engines are 2.4, 2.2, and 2.0 liter variations, as of now at least from what I know. The one in the Volt is a 1.4. Not sure if it was purpose made for the Volt, but the turbo version is in the base Cruze. The Cruze will also have a 1.8, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
...the Cruze began life in 2008 as the Daewoo Lacetti Premiere (also the Holden Cruze), which means they've had 3 years to "hype" it as a brand-new car for USA.

...WTF? 3 years to move the steering wheel from right to left?
Testing the Cruze in other markets before they put it into their most valuable market. Working all the kinks out. Too much testing for recent GM vehicles? Sometime over-testing just means you REALLY want to get the best thing for your best customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
That is if they ever make it to the market.
You'll see it November. Too much has been put into it to pull out now. Monday the Hammtrack assembly line rolled out its first Volt for certain testing. The 2nd phase before the dealers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPaulHolmes View Post
I think people will be shocked at how often they don't need to fill up. For most, the gas is just going to be a security blanket. I hope it takes off, and that others copy it, and phev becomes the new hybrid, and they start making them for under the price of a house.
That exact reason is why I call the Volt the 'springboard' into a new alternative fuel future. You have that backup, and when you're ready to move onto a full EV, like the Leaf, you'll have confidence that since the car has more than double the EV range your EREV (its easier than typing series hybrid. Plus it sounds cooler) had, you can go further!

The Volt is my dream car. I will admit it through and through. Though pricing isnt official ($30,000-$40,000 before tax break) its too expensive for a teens first car. I'll probably buy a Aveo, then get a year old Cruze later, keep the Cruze for several years, then maybe after a few years of being out of college I'll get the hydrogen-powered Volt. Regardless, I love it.