Thread: 2002 Rio RX-V?
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2010, 10:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
Forestry_Chick
EcoModding Lurker

2002 Rio RX-V?

Hey guys,

My dad just picked up one of these and wants to trade me for my monstrous Buick because he doesn't drive nearly as much as I do. The MPG should be waaay better then the Buick... Kia claims that it gets 30 MPG (City). I have not read of anyone trying to improve Kia's in term of MPG, but I would sure like to try. Has anyone else tried?

This one is a 5 speed gas, manual, sport model with the roof racks and a small spoiler on the back. I have been thinking of putting a front guard on the bumper, wheel covers (pizza pans? ha), taking out the back seats (as only I or one other person is ever in the car) and putting in a plastic or foam floor in the back for protected extra cargo space. Once a week I have muddy/horsey gear to transport around.

Are the roof racks an issue? See images of car here : canadiandriver.com/2002/01/10/test-drive-2002-kia-rio-rx-v.htm

Having never done this before, I am wondering if those changes will really make a difference on something that is already going at 30 mpg. Does anyone else have suggestions?