View Single Post
Old 04-01-2010, 02:12 PM   #17 (permalink)
Nels
Saturn Driver

Peanut - '96 Saturn SL
90 day: 37.27 mpg (US)
One more thing --
The tube is 1-1/2" PVC pipe, which seems pretty small. I used this because the existing (resonator) port on the side of the airbox accepted this size pipe with only minor modification. I stuck the pipe in the lathe and turned down 0.030" off the O.D. to make a snug fit, then extended it inside about 4" and anchored it with a bolt and spacer to the bottom of the box. Very solid. I reasoned that the intake tube size is not a whole lot smaller than the throttle body I.D., and the tube size would only come into play at WOT, which is a rare occurrence.

This did bring to mind a question -- This car has no MAF sensor, so it does not sense air flow directly. How does the ECU interpret a restricted air intake? For instance, if (heaven forbid) I mash the pedal to the floor, the throttle position sensor goes wide open, but the intake tube, being slightly smaller than the TB opening, is not allowing quite as much flow as would normally occur under stock conditions. Does the ECU take into account engine vacuum and other factors to compensate for the reduced air flow? This will never come into play in normal driving on this car, but I was curious about it.

2011 Fiesta SFE sedan, 6-sp dual dry clutch Powershift transmission