View Single Post
Old 04-01-2010, 05:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Danncomm
Drive lots knows little

blue sipper - '06 Honda Insight
90 day: 85.96 mpg (US)

BEAST - '88 Ford F250 Lariet
90 day: 24.82 mpg (US)
Idea -would it work?

Some time ago I was reading an article about BMW planning to remove alternators from future cars and replace them with thermocouples mounted to the catalytic converter recovering about 800w. from the heat. I was just wondering if something like that could be done using the whole exhaust system and engine block on my Honda Insight and feed the resulting electricity to the IMA so the engines excess heat would actually have the IMA help push it down the road and therefore gain some extra mileage?
If this will work, what kind of mods would need to be done to the IMA's controller?
What kind of mods would need to be done to the charging program?
Maybe we can get something going here to do something really neat with thermocouples.

This would make alternator deletes easy, pull the belt and run the thermocouples in series to get to the 13.8v with enough amps to cover usage and feed it threw the alternators voltage control so as not to over charge the battery of a regular auto.

So all you mad scientist types put your thinking caps on and maybe we can do something great here or maybe I am way off base here.