View Single Post
Old 04-01-2010, 07:05 PM   #12 (permalink)
AeroModder
Master EcoModder

Tank - '96 Ford Aspire 4 door
Team Ford
90 day: 46.75 mpg (US)
Just to update this a bit, the conversion+AC delete is completed and it's running quite well. The new belt is squeaking a bit from rubbing on the sides of the pulley, but it's not a real problem, just an annoyance.

I've noticed there's a LOT more power on the low end now, especially at idle. I can put it in D and it'll get up to 15 without me touching the gas. This also really helps for some in-town P&G since I can coast with it nearly holding the speed without touching the throttle. If I bring it up to 30, it'll take a quarter mile for it to slow to 25.

My first tank after the conversion only showed 22 MPG, but that was with a LOT of short trips and hauling stuff around. There was also some heavy winds and rain for one 20 mile trip, and hauling a dresser in the trunk for another 20 miles (that made the trunk edge stick up a touch higher than the roof of the cabin, so there was definitely a lot of extra drag). We'll see how this tank goes. I also put the Fram paper filter back in, since that seemed to do really good last time, especially in the warm air on the freeway, getting me a 26 MPG tank.

I'll have some pictures of the conversion up later, probably tomorrow.