View Single Post
Old 04-02-2010, 07:43 PM   #159 (permalink)
RobertSmalls
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
Those are some nice renders. And look, babes are not afraid of it!

You've given it plenty of character. However, I have to reconcile that character with aerodynamics. Foremost, it looks like you've added about two feet of lenghth to the car, while I plan to add 3.5' for a more complete tail. Therefore, the region above the "shoulder" will disappear before or near the end of the tail. But continuing the Insight's distinctive rear shoulders backwards until they disappear is an aesthetic must-do.

I have a feeling the shoulder itself should be tapered very slightly downward. Also, as Jim pointed out, the debate has been between 2° and 7° angle at the rear. Although yours will have separated flow, yours has the advantage of having the same departure angle as stock.

You menion "heavier rear proportions". That would contribute to a boat-tailed car looking odd, wouldn't it? How can this be offset? I wonder if anything can be done with the black vinyl stripe that runs up the rocker panels and rear wheel skirts to visually diminish or explain the tail extension.

I've contemplated painting streamlines on the tail extension so passers by might get an idea of its purpose.

Can you export a .3ds file to a .DXF solid model? If so, I'd be very interested in acquiring a .DXF version of the stock Insight.