View Single Post
Old 03-30-2008, 10:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
SuperMID calibration methods ? / overinflation valve stem failure

Yesterday, I aired my tires up to what I thought was 50 PSI. It turns out it was closer to 65-70 PSI - but this measurement was taken after a blowout on a ( very ) hot tire. ( Maximum inflation listed on the tire is 44 PSI )
I was in a hurry and did not check the PSI using more than one guage. I have found ( and especially yesterday ) that tire guages are horribly inaccurate sometimes.
I guess I have found my limit, because I had the blowout. Thankfully, what occured was that my valve stem developed a large leak around its' base - so there was no dramatic explosion like I always feared.
( I'm not saying that an explosion could never happen, but thankfully this time around it didn't )
The tire is fine, but needs the valve stem replaced.

A question that I'd like to ask you folks about, is how to go about finding your MPG without a SuperMID or ScanGuage. I actually have a SuperMID, but need to calibrate it using some sort of accurate method.
What I normally do is fill my tank up till the pump shuts off,set my odometer to zero, drive for a few hundred miles, fillup again and divide the gallons it takes to fill the tank by the miles traveled as shown on the odometer.

Simple right ? Yah, but apparently not too accuarate, since the pump sometimes shuts off before the tank is really full.
To account for this, in the past I have filled the tank to the point where that it spills over. This way I know that the tank is truly full.

There has to be a better way .